Wednesday, October 31, 2007

More Appointments Today

Kim's rehab is really what we're here for now. Despite that it's quite a busy day again today. I mentioned to the supervising nurse this morning that we'd like to have some other appointments if we could, Kim an audiology appointment to see about her hearing and an additional hearing aid, eye appointments for us both and an overall health exam for me. (Kim's pretty much had that). By 10:30 or so we got Kim into a wheelchair and down to the 3rd floor where most of that kind of stuff goes on here. She had a normal audiology exam and we discussed the results and getting a hearing aid. We found out the devices they use are from Minneapolis and it would take longer than we had left and opted to wait until we get back home.
Promptly after lunch they called for us both to come to the Eye hospital. I don't know if I've told you or not this place is abuzz with people almost morning to night. I've never seen the volume of folks which come and go and the things that seem to be going on. Of course I'm not privy to all that is happening but there's a lot, and I mean a lot of people. They took Kim right in and began to examine her eyes. They treat you quite special when you are an International patient or family. I guess that's ok but wonder what the locals think about it. If you didn't notice the person examining you was Indian it would seem little different than being at home, a standard eye exam. They called me back to the desk and I had to register, since I'm really nobody except with my now famous bilateral hip resurfacing wife. I filled out a very brief registration card, name, address, phone, email and that's it. Pretty soon he called me back to the desk to inform me since I'm not registered I'd have to pay cash for my eye exam. The bill, 390 rupees, not quite $10 for full exam, same tests for glaucoma, cataracts, retinal exam, dialation, the whole bit. Then the best part for me, the Dr told me my current glasses were working just fine. Why not just keep wearing them? What? Can you do that? You mean I'm not gonna need another $450 pair of glasses today. Cool! All for under $10. I like it.
When we got back to the room Kim did a phone interview with a lady from the BBC. Not sure what that's about except that Medical Tourism is big busines and growing. We found out today that the 10 story addition they have been working on day and night right out side our window is for International patients. Their goal is to fill with folks like us. They do good work here. It still lacks some of the comforts of home, Mexican food, my dog, my pillow, any American TV or sports, carpet, well I could go on, but for the price...people will come.

Oh yeah, Kim's just doing great. She's working really hard and making outstanding progress. It's gonna be slow but she's seeing some real results now. Just keep praying and thanks for reading.

de

Here's a couple more pictures.

This is Mryna from Oregon. She'd been here by herself for almost 3 weeks after having had her shoulder replaced. This was her day to go home. She was quite a character.

Here's the drive thru to the hospital entrance. The bamboo looking covering was there when we arrived. A few days later I noticed them disassembling it and now its gone! Kim and the flowers I got her. She was actually more excited about them than the picture indicates! Hopefully I can get out and take some more pics today. I hope my camera charged overnight. It was having trouble yesterday. More rehab today. Kim is making excellent progress day by day. Thanks for your constant prayers and contacts.
de & ke Site Meter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave and Kim,
Kim you look beautiful. Your smile is worth a thousand dollars. I think and pray about you both all the time. I think when you are home and running races, diving deep in the ocean, picking up that beautiful little grandbaby, climbing to the tops of mountains, I'll find another person to pray for all day long. This shows me we dont have to be kin to people struggling with physical or mental things to pray for them all the time. I think all it would take is a trip to the local hospital here to find someone in need of prayers. Im sure church is full of people needing specific prayers daily. Im glad to know you are famous. I cant wait to see you on TV telling the world this place is good and it dont have to cost people all their savings Just to get better. Something is wrong here. I think we all know that just what to do about it. I hope you have a wonderful healing day today. Makes one appreciate Texas when its not there. I tell you what ill go out and eat some mexican food tonite just in your honor. I love you both with all my heart. How many days till your home??
Love dj