Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Steady As She Goes!

It's not the end of this day but not sure what else there will be to write about today. Kim is entirely "unplugged" or maybe its all systems are go...sorry. I'll leave it at that but she's been up and out of the bed 9 times today and its about 3 pm. Undergoing 2 major surgeries in 6 days means you do a number of the normal things of life by remote, like eat, get your meds, and other normal activities, then you have to restart all those normal functions. She's doing just great but its steady as she goes.
There's a number of things we're learning about the people here and their ways. Virtually all the staff on our floor and there's nurses, food guys, security, guys who clean the rooms etc, all of them speak at least some English, some better than others. What English they know is proper English but here's some of what they don't get. They don't understand our humor, puns, idioms, or sarcasm, which means pretty much everything we say. One of the nurses was getting ready to hook up a new batch of the IV painkiller which went in constant for a couple of days. She was having a bit of trouble and Kim said, "go ahead and give me the juice." The attending nurse dropped what she was holding, ran to the fridge and grabbed a box of juice. Another nurse was in to take her temperature following surgery #2 and I the comment, "I think you should take it rectally." Well, a few minutes later, guess what she showed up with...you got it...a proper rectal thermometer. Too funny. Kim had to convince her I was only joking.
They didn't understand the term "picky" either. For the first few days Kim would remark with, "I'm sorry I'm being so picky" about this or that. They never did get it. We had to come up with other descriptive words like "difficult." What else...nobody takes the stairs in the hospital. I've found its one of the best ways to go when its busy. Everybody crams into the elevator and sometimes the wait is fairly long. Nobody takes the stairs but me.
As hot as it is here...and its now the winter season at 94 degrees today...almost nobody wears a hat or shorts. I wear my shorts on our floor, #7, but when I'm going downstairs or for a walk down the street I wear my jeans. There's certainly more peculiarities to talk about but I'll save it for another time. Things are good here. Kim's up and down, walking back and forth and resting in between. Dr Malhan came back to check in. Some people came by from the States to interview us for a piece they're doing on "medical tourism." I was at the gym with my trainer, who I call the Indian version of Jethro Bodine. Made it there for only 30 rupees today and walked back. All in all, a good day. Somebody send me some El-Toro take out, would you or a Pops burger or a turkey sandwich! I saw a Fedex truck today.

de & ke

Site Meter


11 comments:

Aaron said...

That's funny about the elevator. I'm always talking about how Americans are the laziest people, guess I don't know anything. Love you guys and glad to hear mom is unplugged and doing well.

Anonymous said...

David and Kim it sounds like you really have to watch what you say there. That is really funny! I bet you both will have a lot of stories and experiences to share when you get home. Harvey

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ellis' today is the first time I have been able to look at the blogs. Wow!!! I have kept up through others, but to actually read all the reports personally is awesome. It sounds like all is going well. I really miss you guys!
HEB was fabulous with perfect weather, lots of games, food and a beautiful full moon. Janet Dolecki's sister went, enjoyed it very much and was in worship services on Sunday. Give each other a hug from me. You continue to be in our prayers-Love ya'll! Linda

Anonymous said...

David & Kim, I am so glad to hear that Kim is doing so well. I enjoy hearing about the differences between India, & here. Is the hospital food pretty good? Does Kim ever get to eat some of the McDonalds food that you bring back? Y'all take care, & keep your letters to us coming!
pat

Anonymous said...

Ok you Guys,
"Kim Unplugged", I see a new album in the makin'. Good album title. STB better look out.
Kim, it sounds like it won't be long and you will be able to get rid of those booster rockets with wheels. Dave, you need to let Kim discuss her own medical needs. I can get some people to help me hold you down when you get home. Remember, "Do unto to others....

God bless you both and keep the updates coming.

Luv Ya'
Bill R.

Anonymous said...

Missed ya at LE today! We had chili, salad, cornbread and chocolate cake...yum, yum! Sorry, that was cruel!

Really did miss you both. Glad to hear Kim is improving daily and continuing to get her strength back. I'm sure the Mickey D's fish sandwich did it...are you sure it was fish???

Keep the updates coming...love to hear what all is going on and how Kim's doing.

Love and prayers,
JH

Anonymous said...

David & Kim, I'm glad to hear Kim is doing well and getting more mobile each day. The goal of coming home is getting closer! We have enjoyed reading your blog each day and keeping up with Kim's progress. I know you are both homesick for your families - and some good food - hang in there!
Love, Carla & Robbie

Debbie said...

Dear David and Kim, We miss you so much. Can hardly wait to see ya. I know you'll are having some great experiences. This will be a story for you'll to tell your grandchildren.(Yes we know David you are a Granddad) Ha! Ha! Just wanted you to know how much we miss ya and love ya. We pray for you'lls safety and quick recovery and return.
Love ya, Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hey david & Kim,
I am so glad to hear that the surgery was a success! Miss ya'll & am praying for you both! Kim, I surely hope this makes you feel better soon & that you are able to walk without any pain! I love you both! God bless!
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Dear David & Kim,
I think JH needs to make you some chili and chocolate cake when you get home! What do you think?
CR

Anonymous said...

JH will be happy to make Kim & David chili and chocolate cake when they get home!