Monday, October 29, 2007

Kim up and walking today!

I was going to say it was an uneventful day but Kim getting up and walking two different times was certainly exciting. I took some brief video of the event but promised I'd wait till she looked a little better and was walking a bit stronger before I posted her on the net. It was a sweet sight to see but still quite a struggle for her to get up and around. It will come as the days go by and she is feeling stronger and looking better all the time since #2 was done.

I made it to the grocery store on my own today...hailed an autorickshaw...said "supermarket" and off we went. I did some pretty serious shopping for some snack stuff...pringles, lay's potato chips, box of cereal, oatmeal, couple of diet pepsis, Kettle salt & vinegar chips, yeah!!! and brought Kim back a hot filet-o-fish sandwich from McDonalds and some fries...any I didn't eat in the rickshaw on the way back...probably some other stuff. Went to the gym to workout. Got my own rickshaw driver who decided to take me for a ride. Instead of the 14 rupees it normally costs he took me on a longer ride. He acted like he didn't know where he was going, he slowed down a time or two enough to holler out something and they'd point and off we'd go. Cost me 50 rupees by the time we got there...and they were closed...so I walked back to the hospital. I knew the general way and spent probably 45 minutes just walking through that section of town...shop after shop selling everything under the sun...people everywhere...weren't you scared?...not for a moment...nervous, sure a little bit. I was halfway around the world in the 3rd world country...walking to where I thought I knew I'd come from. Although I never saw another caucasian person...the only others I've seen since we've been here were in the hospital. I never once had anybody approach me. Most of them look at me like I landed from somewhere on the other side of the planet. Hey, I am.

And they look at my shoes...everybody looks down at my shoes...I'm guess I'm not wearing sandals like everybody else...either my nikes or my crocs...they still haven't figured out my crocs. I walked thru the neighborhood...saw some kids playing cricket...others playing badmittton...many just sitting watching the throngs of people doing their daily thing...going home...buying groceries...working on their cars...dodging rickshaws as they walk in out out of the traffic...and the vehicles honking at each other...they love to honk their horns and do so all the time. It's quite exciting as traffic goes.

On the way back I passed a little stand with a guy making some beautiful flower arrangements...so guess what, I carried one back to the hospital with me...100 rupees...I probably should've tried to get the price down but I was so excited to be where I was experiencing what I was...I just paid the price and splurged...a little over $2. Big spender but they are beautiful and she was thrilled. So all in all it was good day, her walking, McDonalds, flowers, walking thru the local neighborhood...oh yeah, a visit from a young man from the local church came by for a visit and to pray with us. Guess that's the end of this day and this blog. I'll do my best to keep you coming back and reading up on our journeys. Thanks for reading. By the sitemeter somebody's keeping up with us. We love you all! de & ke

Site Meter


6 comments:

Dorothy / Bubba said...

Glad to here she is up and moving! I'm sure it must be a bit painful, hopefully it will get better every day.The pictures are interesting, what are the street boys? are they homeless? Anyway, Y'all have a great day, God is good! D & B

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog and keeping us updated! I am so excited that Kim is up and walking!! Keep smiling and trusting that God will
bring you through it. Love you
both. Sue

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Has anyone told you what a GREAT guy you are. Using my conversion calculator, with the autorickshaw + flowers + McDonald's(just guessing here)= less than $10 USD. I tell you, I hope Kim realizes what a great guy you are. You make the rest of us guys proud. You go Dave!!!! ( Not to mention putting your life on the line, going out there in a #3rd world country.)LOL
Seriously, God Bless you both. Kim, keep up the good work. Remember Isaiah 40:31.

Praying for You,
Bill R.

Nellie said...

Good to hear that things are still going so well. Tell Kim that I had lunch today with Barbara Wilson and Brenda Dykes, and they were absolutely amazed that you guys are in India doing what you are doing. They both sent their best wishes your way.

Keep us "in the know."

Nell and Skip

Vicki Kennemore said...

Hi Ya'll! I am really enjoying reading the notes and pics (altho several didn't show on my screen). I am so, so happy Kim is thru with the surgeries. I think of both of you often and keep you in my prayers. See you soon! Vicki

Heather said...

glad everything is going so well! the photos are great.