Thursday, October 25, 2007

Today's a better day

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Yesterday was not a particularly good day for Kim or for me either. She struggled some physically but it was more emotional than anything, a real struggle all day long and there wasn't much I could do to comfort her. Bound to have some of those days. We're in a totally different culture with a people of different ways, food, language, time zone, physical surroundings, need I go on. Later I'll write about some of that stuff when we're rehabing.

Today's a totally different day and she's done a complete 180 from yesterday. She working with the physical therapist right now. She still has a lot of swelling around the surgery sight and down the leg which they say is normal. They're putting her thru the paces to get her ready to shift all the responsibility to the "new hip" and leg. When 's done tomorrow the new one will be the strong one till the other comes along to meet it. The surgeries are no doubt extremely difficult but I sense the rehab is going to be as difficult or more because come 24 hours the surgeries will be done and all the rehab to go. She's walked with pain, difficulty, and been totally out of whack for so long she's basically going to have to learn to walk all over again. I think it will surely be no pain, no gain. They are very good, patient, and caring with her.

Lastly for this post, for those who asked, the scottsman across the hall is doing well after his first surgery. He got up yesterday and will do more so today. His sweet companion came in last night having made her own way to the supermarket and brought me back a french coffee press and some ground coffee. I guess I had been a little too verbal about drinking only Nescafe freeze dried individual coffee packets for the past week. i couldn't imagine a culture that didn't drink coffee. They're a tea people and not Nestea or Lipton either but that's another blog. The lady went on her own to the supermarket, found it, bought it, went to a nearby restaurant and begged them for some ground coffee and made her way back to give it to me. Had some this morning. Sure was good. It's a better day today.

Surgery is less than 24 hours away now. Keep us in your prayers. We know we are in good hands both His and here. Thanks for checking in. I'll keep you posted.

de

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave and Kim,
I ask everyone i know to pray for yall. I figure that is a ministry in its own. I know yall think im crazy calling in the middle of the nite, afternoon there, but i just think yall are on my mind so much when i wake up its just natural to call since its the middle of the day there. Looking forward to the weekend. Going to Duncan tomorrow moms birthday today. exactly how many miles are yall away from good ole Texas. When we went on the cruise and Blaine and i went thru Belize we got juat a small glimpse of how another country lives much less living there for a month. Be glad when yall are home. Hey Kim wanna race. I just want you both to know how much I love you and am looking forward to hugging you both again.
God be with you till we meet again. I sang that lol
love dj

Anonymous said...

I know you both are so ready to get this second surgery behind you in just a few hours. I can only imagine the emotional rollercoaster you are on about all this. Know you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
Lots of love,
JH

Anonymous said...

Dave,
what is the address at the hospital so i can send a card.
dj