Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Slowpoke

Slowpoke the sloth - a retired Beany Baby

My dad is accused of and has admitted to being one of the slowest people around. No, we're not talking about running or anything like that. Come to think of it I don't recall having ever seen him run, except for maybe the early days of my childhood when he used to coach the Woodrow Wilson Track team. That was the early 60's and I don't think he ran much, even then. His track team won the city championships several times.

Even when I'd spend time working with him, he was slow. I'd get impatient at the eternity it took him to do some things but in his time, he always got it done. He is still doing things that way and probably even slower than before, but he can still do most anything. Hence the title for today's blog, Speed doesn't matter; distance does.

That's an actual quote from Hal Higdon's half marathon training guide, week 1, Thursday. Good thing too, cause I will never win any speed races but I can go the distance. I guess its inherited. I made my three miles today but it wasn't very fast. I think that's how life is and that too many of us are in too much of a hurry to get somewhere. It's a long race folks, and its those who finish well that really count the most.

It keeps you runnin,
de

Hal's tip of the week. I don't recognize the adjective "slow" when it comes to running. All runners I know are "fast," no matter at what speed they run. If you worry about being perceived as a slowpoke when you first venture onto the running tracks, simply compare yourself to those potatoes, who never get off their couches.

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Does that mean someday I will be slow? Surely not!

Tailpipe Terry said...

AARON....doesn't guarantee that you will be slow but I'd like to be around when you are writing in your blog about how impatient you were watching your dad be slow.
And don't call me Shirley!

Heather said...

I can remember Poppie running, I believe it was after me when I took that brick from his well. Yes, I remember it like it was yesterday...

James Y said...

True. Very true. I'm certainly not setting any land speed records, but I'll get it done...on my own time.