Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Life in the fast Lane, OK

Back to dead week. After the funeral, trip to the fast Lane cemetary, a trip to old Mr. Cohen's corner store, we went to where my grandmother used to live when we were kids. Just as the store had not changed, neither had her house. It looked exactly the same. The same propane tank we used to pretend was a big horse to ride, the same old rock root cellar that was pretty darned scary to go down into, the same old garage it was all there. It seemed so much bigger in those days. Peeking into the old garage there was an old car in there and lots of stuff hanging along the walls. I swear some of that stuff has been hanging there since we were there. I heard that when they came to move my grandma out, they pretty much left everything except her basic necessities. It was truly like a trip back in time. The guy that bought the place from grandma still owns it. Too bad he wasn't home so we could go inside. After a brief stop and my uncle's wifes sisters place, we headed back to Duncan. A quick dinner at the "Poor Girls Cafe" in Sulphur, Ok, where the daily special was, small chicken fry, mashed potatoes, green beans, and salad for $3.59, we arrived at the home place just in time for the Astros game. More of this eternally long day tomorrow.

Try to make you lose your mind,
de

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I think its cool when I drive by the house on Honeysuckle...and that was only like 9 years ago. I cant imagine seeing something like that from 40 years ago.