Wednesday, November 02, 2005

He Died LIke Elvis

I hate to admit it...but when heard that my uncle had died and where they found him, my first thought was, he died just like Elvis. Well, the truth is there were only two things that my uncle and Elvis had in common. They both died in the same place, the bathroom, and they both served in the military. No my uncle didn't do drugs, he never was in movie that I know of, he was almost completely bald like my dad, he never had a hit song, and he lived in Duncan, OK, not somewhere called Graceland.

Day two of D-week, (see yesterday) was an early morning wakeup call via the voices at the dining table at the folks house. I was up late getting in and early to rise for my second funeral in as many days. It was a beautiful fall day much like what I recalled in my growing up years. I'm not an early person but it was up early day two. We arrived at the church early to meet greet family and folks with whom I grew to know in those early years.

The service for my uncle was if I had been transported back to 1975. I'm not sure why 75 except I recall that year better than others. I've also done the High School reunion thing twice this year so that helps. The preacher from 75 is still there. The building, the singers, the songs, the message, the meal to follow, its all still there, along with a couple of girls I dated and might've married if I'd stayed in D-town. Except its 30 years later, we're all older, and my uncle is gone. He was a good man I loved and admired.

Our afternoon was trip halfway across Oklahoma to a little town east of Atoka called Lane. I think I'll save Lane, OK for tomorrow. And if you feel real real bad, don't go in the bathroom, it can be deadly.

I guess for Uncle James, it officially "Return to Sender."

Not too seriously now, ok?

de

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Unlike the Baptist preacher's departure in Waco. the toilet would be nowhere near the top of my list.

James Y said...

Return to Sender, and hopefully he won't see the "Devil in Disguise"