Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Pick & Grin Band

I started this whole blog thing as a result of 5 funerals in 8 days which I named "dead week." As I think about it, over my years in ministry, November is curiously one of those months when people give up the ghost. This one just set some kind of personal record. Number 4 that week was a gentlemen I had met only a time or two but for some reason his wife felt I was the one who knew him before his dementia got the best of him. It was a shock to me and his daughters but I said yes and there he was behind door #4.

Funerals have certainly changed over the years and I guess I'm grateful. One of the reasons I think I get chosen to preside for those who I don't really know is my willingness to accomodate the family. This fine gentlemen for years was the leader of the "Pick & Grin" band, a gathering of retired folks who loved to pick guitars, sing, and travel to where other folks their age were gathered and sing for them. Those that were left of the band gathered and sang a couple of religious tunes to honor and celebrate the one who had passed. The lead picker and singer was a gal who had to be mid 80's. Even though they were obviously out of practice, because their leader had been sick and died, they did a fine job and I'm sure none who were there will forget. I know I won't.

LIfe is infinitely more pleasant if music is a part of it.

Sing some today,

de

Coming soon. A nascar fan's funeral!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Spruce said...

There is no doubt that it was unforgettable. It was one of those funeral where you just felt like everything was done right, just the way the deceased would have wanted it.

Heather said...

If we didn't have music, where would we be? Nothing can take you back to certain times and events in your life quite like a song. Its amazing isn't it...