Thursday, November 10, 2005

It was a hard day's night

I think today I'll finally finish day 2 of dead week. You'll have to read some of my previous blogs to catch the whole day but it began sometime after 1:00 a.m. when I finally went to bed as Monday ended and Tuesday began. I'd travelled From H-town and a funeral on Monday to OK, drove home, visited with mom until almost 1 a.m., finally slept some, got up to go to my uncle's funeral, drove to Lane, OK, by Cohen's Store, my grandma's former house, and back to Duncan arriving at 7:32 p.m.

I arrived just in time for the start of watching the longest game in World Series history, a 14 inning, eternal game I am sure Astros fans will never forget.

"AS Tuesday night turned into Wednesday morning, Houston's debut as a World Series city turned into one of the longest, most nerve-wracking, most disappointing nights in its 44 years as a big-league baseball town.

Former Astros infielder Geoff Blum hit a one-out home run in the top of the 14th inning shortly before 1 a.m. Wednesday at Minute Maid Park to break a 5-5 tie, and the White Sox went on to beat the Astros 7-5 and take a three-games-to-none lead over Houston in the best-of-seven series .

At 14 innings, the first World Series game played in Texas tied for the longest in series history, in terms of innings played, with the Oct. 9, 1916 game between the Boston Red Sox and Brooklyn Dodgers. At five hours, 41 minutes, it also is the longest game by time in series history, surpassing the four-hour, 51-minute Game 1 of the 2000 Subway Series between the New York Yankees and New York Mets." Via the Houston Barnicle. That ended Day 2 and ran into Day 3 of D-week which was uneventful.

I endured the whole game, the whole day, and wanted to just bury and forget the whole thing. The next day I spent some time with the folks, drove to OKc and flew back to H-town ever so glad that day was done. Unforgetable, but done.

It's been a hard day's night,

de

1 comment:

Aaron said...

That was the baseball god's way of stealing the series from Houston (or giving it to Chi). It was meant to be...no other way to explain it.