Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sights, Sounds, & Smells!

It's just impossible to describe all we've experienced so far here in Mumbai. I've done a fair job of giving you a desciption of what Kim is going thru and I hope the pictures will give you just a sense of what I've seen on the streets but yesterday was something new. I headed out last evening to the Nirmal Lifestyles Mall where the supermarket is located to pick up a few items. It's not very far and is cooling some in the last couple of hours of daylight so I walked. On my way there I pass lots of auto repair shops which seem to be busy all the time. On either side of the street there's an open concrete ditch. I suppose it carries the drain water out when it rains but it also carries less desirable stuff as well. It's obvious from the distinct sewer smell in some spots. It also functions as a local spot for the men to relieve themselves. I know that's not something you prefer to hear but its true. Almost anywhere, at anytime, if you need to go, you pull over and go. As I walked there's one young man down in the ditch and another on the street. They seem to be digging in the ditch, which also acts as the occasional trashcan, for anything worthwhile to salvage. I didn't stop for long to investigate as the thought was just too much to comprehend. Folks digging thru the trash is a regular occurence here, I guess because they're just looking for something to eat.

As I approached the intersection to turn and head to the mall I notice the traffic is heavy, kind of unusual for Sunday evening. Crossing the street here is always very exciting because of the hectic pace of the autorickshaws, big trucks, cars, and motorcycles which fill the streets, go every which way, and constantly honk at each other in their coming and going. As I near the mall, I'm approached by a girl, maybe 8 years old, dark hair with beautiful dark eyes. Her clothes hang loose from her and they're old, and filthy. She holds out her hand for anything so I reach into my pocket and pull out a bill, a 50 rupee note, and give it to her. It's about a dollar and a quarter or so. Then, its on. She turns and hollers out to others and from that point on for more than a block, I'm beseiged by an older lady holding a very young baby, much in the same state as the 8 year old girl and others. They're all begging for me to give them something. The girl grasps my arm constantly, the mom holds up the baby and the bottle, all pointing to their mouths. There's no words to convey my feelings for most of the next block. I already given them a little something and am determined not to do any more right now. I say no but that doesn't do. They have both arms and continue to plead. Finally, two men on their way to the mall holler something and they let go. They don't want to let go but finally do. My heart doesn't stop racing for many minutes.

The mall is now completely insane with people. There's 50 times more people than I've ever seen there all together in my numerous trips. It's modern, all kinds of stores much like one of our malls. There's all kinds of fast food, McD's, Ruby Tuesday (which i just spotted last night), pizza hut, coffee shops, all completely packed. It's Diwali season here, their Christmas, so its much like the mall traffic at home during Christmas. Everyone is well dressed, their snacking, talking on their cell phones, just enjoying the eveing. The supermarket is the same or even worse. In my previous trips there'd be 2/3 express lanes and 4/5 normal lanes open. Tonight there were 12 express lines and 25 regular lines open, all working, with customers 5/6 deep in each line and baskets full of groceries. Trying to get the few items I needed was nothing short of insane. I got my stuff, paid, and headed out. I stopped by Pizza Hut and tried to order a pizza to be delivered in an hour or so but my attempt was futile. I finally told them I'd just call from back at the hospital.

Crossing the street to the other side, I knew I'd pass by a pretty large group of folks who live there on the sidewalk. I posted some of their pictures earlier, the street boys I think I called them. Clutching a wad of 50 rupees bills in my hand I approached them. As the first boy took the bill, he shouted, and it was on again. I proceeded to each person there, in pretty rapid fashion to hand each one a bill. Those who were awake began to wake those who were asleep. One pitiful looking soul, I have no idea his age because its probably not relative when you live on the street here, just didn't want to awakened but finally woke up enough to take what I offered. I gave out everything I had in my hand and tried to move quickly on. It wasn't easy. I'm not certain if I really helped, but I tried. I was nothing like I had ever seen or heard or smelled in my life. I prayerfully thought of just how blessed I was to be able to walk to the store, purchase pretty much whatever I wanted or needed, and walk safely back to my air conditioned room at the hospital. I needed the walk back just to process it all.

We finished the night by ordering three large Pizza Hut pizzas and pepsi's for the staff on the floor last night. They really didn't know what to think when we asked them what kind they wanted and invited them to come to the room when it arrived but I think they enjoyed it very much. One hawaiian chicken, one veg, tomato and onion, and one pepperoni pizza. I honestly think that was the best tasting pepperoni pizza I have ever tasted. It was quite a day. Kim's still doing great by the way. She's walking better and better at each therapy session.
My apologies for the length of this blog but I needed to share my experience. Thanks for reading.

de & ke

Site Meter


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What a experience you had going to the mall. I can't even imagine.......We are so glad to hear that Kim's progress is growing better each day!! We really miss ya'll ALOT and can't wait to see ya'll......
Kim, keep up the good work. We are sending ya'll hugs and kisses..
OK -- I did not want to say what about those Sooners but we will let ya'll celebrate. We were really hoping that OSU would have beat UT....
See ya'll soon...Megan is counting the days.
Love ya- The Garcia's

Anonymous said...

Dave,
No comic relief this time.
Thank you for sharing your experience to and from the mall. It's something we all need to hear to help us to be thankful where we live and the blessings we have.

There is no need for you to apologize for the length of the blog. We look forward to reading the blog. It's great to be able to keep in touch with you and Kim.

Kim, keep getting strong and improving.
May God continue bless you both.
Bill R.

Anonymous said...

What a scary, but incredible experience. You know me, made my eyes water just imagining what it was like. How extremely blessed we are...how good of you to share.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Love and prayers,
JH

Anonymous said...

Dave,
thanks for describing some people's day. I have so much and yet i dwell sometimes on what i dont have. Things i dont really need. Thank you God for everything i have. Be careful please
I love you
dj

Anonymous said...

David,
Thanks for helping place a tear in my eye, a lump in my throat. To think about this level of poverty and reality does us all good to experience. While not there, your words gave us the feeling we are there.
Such a shame that more people do not ever encounter such exposure to the " have nots". No doubt, they will surley remember the man who gave...........they should.
So glad that you and Kim are getting closer to the sea. Sounds like she is doing very well in spite of the physical challenges.
God bless both of you and take care.

Uncle Jerry