Thursday, December 22, 2005

Anniversary Blog

I'm not big on holidays. I like em allright I'm just not big on the hype. The whole family getting together, I can go for that. Cooking, eating together, taking a nap later, that all good. Maybe its just the expectation that we have to go and buy a bunch of stuff, yeah, that's it. Not that I mind buying stuff, I've done plenty of it over the years, but I want to do it on my time, when the inspiration hits me, when its needed, not just because everybody else is doing it or because the calendar says so. And not that the rest of my fam probably couldn't use some more good stuff.

But just maybe the calendar saying so is a way of reminding me when I ought to be really celebrating something important and not just buying stuff. Truth is I've got most of the "stuff" I want and certainly everything I need. Buying more stuff especially buying stuff we don't need, well seems wasteful. Today is one of those calendar days, the bride & I's anniversary. 26 years she's put up with me. WOW!

She ought to get a medal but I'm not sure where you get those and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't wear said medal. We could go out to eat but she eats out all the time when she's on the road so that's nothing special for her. She'd do that more for me than for her. So, I made her a card and wrote her a poem. Nothing gifted for sure but at least she'll know I was thinking about her.

We must be getting old because we might just stay home, have dinner, build a fire out by the pool, and look at the bay. It's an anniversary blog. Happy anniversary out there. All of them are worth celebrating. They get even better as you get a few more. What really matters is the people in your lives on those days and everyday, not just those calendar days, and certainly not the stuff you get or give.

cya,

de

2 comments:

Tailpipe Terry said...

Speaking of women that deserve....
Karen and I were married 32 years on the 21st. Marriage really does get better with age. You grow away from butting heads. I like where the Bible says, "Husbands, love your wife as Jesus loved the church...He who loves his wife loves himself."
Happy Anni-day and Merry Christmas. I miss you signing off with a song.

Aaron said...

Well said dad...I'm tired of buying junk too.