Thursday, March 23, 2006

How Much Does a Stone Weigh?

Today was our last day in Sydney. I started the day by trying to find a "sports store." I was looking for some local sports stuff to buy the boys. Its just a few blocks down the street and up the stairs to the Rebel sports store. I left the bride for a quick walk just down the street and after 6 or 8 blocks I did something no respecting male really ever does, I asked directions. "Just down the street a few blocks," they say.After a few more blocks and then a couple of more and up to the 4th floor I found it, bought my goods and headed back the dozen or more blocks in a heavy mist back to the hotel. By the time I got back I was in a full sweat and we hadn't even left for the day yet. So it was back to the room, drop the goods, and
get a new shirt. Then we headed to the Toranga Zoo for a picture with the Koala bears and to pet the kangaroos or was it a walloby?

Back across the harbor by ferry to catch the local bus to Bondi Beach. It was a fascinating ride through the streets of Sydney for almost an hour to Bondi, one of the most famous beaches in the world. It was beautiful to say the least, not all that big a beach but beautiful. One question I have is, where did all these young people come from, why are they not working, and where do they get there money to hang out on the beach to sun and surf. I know, that's like 3 questions but I still don't know the answer to any of them but I know there's a ton of em everywhere we go here. And then there's a huge backpacking community here. There's backpacking ads, and places to stay, and facilities for backpackers. I guess their folks got plenty of money or something.

One last thing, how much in the heck does a "stone" weigh? I pop into the throne room to check how much poundage I"ve accumulated since being here and when I step onto the scales it says like 15 1/2 stones. What in the heck is a stone and how much does that sucker weigh? I still don't know. It must be like 17 pounds. Why can't these English speaking folks weigh in pounds or even kilos and not stones. I guess someone else will have to answer. We're off to Cockle Bay via the ferry for our last nights dinner in Sydney.

No worries today, d & K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A stone is 14 lbs. Well, it is in England anyway!!
Have a great time and a safe journey home.