Monday, May 28, 2007

More Maui

3 new pics in previous post.

Actually most of what I wrote was Day 1 in Maui. On day two we started by taking another helicopter ride. Probably should've just cancelled because it was going to be hard to top flying right over an active volcano. Sure enough it wasn't to be topped. Enjoyed flying right into the west Maui Mts for an upclose view of places you can only go by helicopter. Then we flew all the way across the island up to Haleakala crater. Pretty cool view of the crater which is 37 square miles. Then we flew not quite above the road to Hana. The pilot ripped off about a dozen high profile celebrities who lived along the road who like their privacy. Because of that the copters are not allowed to fly over the road to Hana.

From the airport we headed down towards the Big Beach area to Kihei and Wailea. Being Memorial day weekend the traffic really picked up. Lots of people on the beach. WE followed the road all the way down to almost the very end of the island to a National reserve. It was right at the end of an incredible lava flow that made a black sand beach and some incredible snorkeling and surfing, I hear. It was too long a hike for the bride so I walked and looked on my own. Then we went back up the road just a bit where the road was right by the beach and parked there. I hiked around on the rocks and watched some large fish from up on the rocks. Very cool. Then it was back through town, a drive by the Wailea Marriott. We didn't stop but it looked nice. Back to the ship, drop off the bride, by Kmart, and drop off the rental car. One last dinner at the sit down restaurant, a brief take of "crew talent night." Some even had some. Back up to pack the bags which have to be out by midnight. Then a sit out on the balcony as we leave Maui for Oahu.

Got a pretty good nights sleep and got ready to disembark the ship. All systems go. Went up to get breakfast which was bonkers. Grabbed some and went back to the room. Went down and left the ship only to realize when I sat down on the bus, I'd left my camera bag somewhere. Terrible awful of me. Left the bride on the bus, hoping she doesn't have to get off the bus with the bags without me and ran back aboard the ship, which they're not real excited to let you do.
Frantically retraced my steps, not at the internet place where I tried to check in for our flight. Back to the room. Not there. Back to the front where we left the wheelchair we'd used to get the bride from the back to the front of the ship to save some steps. And there it was, still strapped to the back of the wheelchair where I left it. Whew!

Back off the ship where the bus was waiting for me. Unfortuately I was now sweating pretty good. Not all that great for having a whole day in Oahu, then an all night flight and get home at noon Monday.

More on our day in Oahu when we layover in LA in the morning.

de & ke


No comments: