Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hey, I Found My Sleep!

I know the title sounds pretty weird but truth is its not. In the days following hurricane Ike, I lost my normal sleep pattern, or it was rudely interrupted. I don't know what to call it, post traumatic stress or what. Something that big qualifies to cause some like that if you ask me. After the hurricane, until just recently I woke up around 5:15 am no matter what, there was no going back to sleep.

Here's the story, which I've told before, I think. The night of the storm Jared and I had finally fallen asleep around 2-3 am. (Kim was still awake) It had been a terribly long day leading up to that point. The power had gone out by 5 pm, much earlier than most folks lost their power. But we had a generator, a light, a radio and were making out pretty well and were dog tired. About 4:30 am Mike called to inform me that the "eye" was right over us and we had to see, so we did. In that eiree stillness I got out in my truck and drove around to see some of the damage and came back home. And we waited. Sometime around 5 or 5:15 am the back side of the storm came through and took part of our roof, let the rain in, and well, we're still not completely through with the work that needs to be done remodeling. I wish I could say we were.

Anyway, since then, I would wake up, wide awake, at 5:15, no matter what time I went to bed or what I did or drank or ate or didn't, just wide awake. Sometime in the past couple of week, I found my sleep again. I've going to sleep at my normal time 11-12 and waking up again at my normal time, 7 or even later. Yeah! Boy that feels good. No more waking up and knowing I might as well get up because I wasn't going back to sleep. I sleep right through. Hey, I found my sleep! It's a good thing.

de
Site Meter


No comments: