Thursday, October 19, 2006

Deja Vu! TS Allison

Wow, what an interesting beginning to this week. Actually, the rain started sometime Saturday night. The only reason I knew that is because the ground was wet when I got up Sunday morning. Right as I started to preach Sunday morning the sky opened up, the rains came down and the floods came up. Everybody gets a little nervous when that happens either because its so darned loud in our auditorium when it rains like that, or they know they've really got nowhere to go until they hear it stop raining and they know the preacher knows it. Anyway, took the bride to Pappasitos for lunch, sat at the bar, while watching the 1st half of the Texans/Cowboys game. Turned out that was the only part worth watching unless your a big TO fan.

Oh yeah, the rain. The bride took a nap while I watched the TO show, then I took one while it rained, scratch that, it poured the whole time. Got to get my rain gauge working. We had our Life group over, in the rain. It rained Sunday night adn all day Monday. The wind blew off the bay all day Monday 20-30 mph. The tide came up and completely covered the bulkhead and all the piers. Lost boards began to float up in my yard. Waves crashed into the yard as the water would reach the bulkhead and then make a wave in the yard.

My nextdoor neighbor almost lost his boat on Monday evening. The water was so high it worked his boat partially out of its sling. He went down at almost dark, navigated the pier, which he couldn't see, waves crashing, bay rocking, and managed to get it back in place. Pretty scary stuff. Finally about 7 or so the rain quit and western sky cleared for a beautiful red sunset. The water stayed high for most of the next day before you could see the bulkhead. Still haven't cleaned up much. Guess I can start that tomorrow. Well, one price of living on the bay. My pier survived. Now I have enough extra pier parts to add on to mine. Remminded me of Tropical storm Allison back in 2001. Not quite as bad though. If it had kept up another few hours, we were getting there. Hopefully its gonna dry out now.

Gotta go. de

Link

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Crazy stuff. I'm surprised your neighbor is still alive after walking out on the pier in the middle of it. Glad everything important stayed dry. See you Saturday.

Anonymous said...

hey daddy, I miss you too!! Love you!