Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Ike Update

Unless you live on the Gulf Coast you have long forgotten hurricane Ike. The media forgot it after 3 days. I'm amazed at the number of roofs that still have blue tarps on them, waiting for a roofer to show up and do the work. In a recent conversation someone commented that "the folks in Houston got a whole week off for the hurricane, why do we have to go work when its icy?" It's a "you had to be there" kind of thing. The bride and I live on S Burnett Dr, right on the water. We are fortunate enough to be high up enough that we were spared the total devastation of others who lived just a bit further down the street. Yesterday when I did my afternoon walk to the end of the street and back, I counted 15 houses that have now been bulldozed on that end of our street. About 8 more were taken down while we were in Ok last week visiting family and I mean bulldozed to the ground, nothing left but a pile of rubble. Maybe 5 or 6 are being rebuilt as their basic structure, studs and roof were intact. Another 8-10 have yet to be bulldozed but look like they should be. Its a sober reminder of how powerful a storm Ike was.

We are seeing real progress at the church building. The sheetrock and mud has been delivered. Insulation is going up. Some redoing of the kitchen walls has finished. Hopefully today they will start putting up some of the sheetrock. Yeah! Its been almost 5 months since the storm. Its really hard to understand the impact of it all unless you see it every day. That's my Ike update FYI.

de

Oh yeah, while I was home I set my dad up with his own blog, Poppie's Blog. Now if I can just get him to use it.


Site Meter

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow...I didn't realize the storm hit your neighborhood that hard.